Monmouth County's Ask the Doctor November/December


Beware, These Household Products Could Hurt Your Pet By, Lauren Kowlacki

It is important to be aware of some common household products that can possibly cause harm to your beloved cat or dog. Here is a list of the most prevalent offenders to use with caution, or even avoid, around your furry friends.

1. Human medicines: Virtually any medicine you take can be toxic to a cat or dog, but some of the worst offenders are pain relievers like Tylenol and Advil. Others to watch out for include antacids, antidepressants, diet pills, vitamins and supplements. All drugs should be locked safely in cabinets. 2. Detergents and household cleaners: Fabric softener sheets, bleach, drain cleaners, ammonia and toilet bowl cleaners all pose a threat, from mild to extremely severe. Keep these high up and behind closed doors at all times. 3. Fertilizers and weed killers: Plant fertilizers for your garden and houseplants contain a multitude of chemicals, several of which can injure your pet (such as herbicides, iron, zinc, nitrogen, phosphorus and others). 4. Insecticides: Even flea and tick products intended for pets can cause harm if not used according to the label. Never use products designed for humans, or for use in the yard, on pets. 5. Indoor and outdoor plants: Both dogs and cats are prone to nibbling plants. In the yard, watch out for daffodils, lily of the valley, azaleas, lilies (Easter, tiger, day lilies) and Jimson weed. All of these can cause potentially fatal reactions. House plants to avoid include aloe, African Violets, bamboo palms, Begonias, sage and basil. The ASPCA carries a full list. Please visit their website for a full list. 6. Human Foods: Chocolate is extremely toxic to pets and can cause serious harm or even death. Other foods that can be harmful are; are grapes and raisins, onions, products containing alcohol and caffeine, chicken bones and moldy meats they may dig out of the garbage. 7. Holiday decorations and wrap: String, yarn and tinsel can be fatal to a cat or dog if ingested. Holiday lights are electrical hazards when chewed.




Made with FlippingBook. PDF to flipbook with ease